asp, popular name for several species of viper, one of which, the European asp ( Vipera aspis ), is native to S Europe. It is also a name for the Egyptian cobra ( Naja haja ). It is believed that the asp that tradition says Cleopatra used to commit suicide was either that cobra or the horned viper ( Cerastes cornutus ) of N Africa.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on asp from Fact Monster:
- viper - viper viper, any of a large number of heavy-bodied, poisonous snakes of the family Viperidae, ...
- Famous Couples | Antony and Cleopatra - The last Pharaoh of Egypt and the dashing Roman general
- Thomas Middleton - Middleton, Thomas Middleton, Thomas, 1580–1627, English dramatist, b. London, grad. ...
- snake, in zoology: Types of Snakes - Types of Snakes The approximately 2,700 snake species, of which about four fifths are nonvenomous, ...
- Cleopatra - Biography of Cleopatra, The famously alluring Queen of Egypt