bowlegs (genu varum), outward curvature of the leg bone (tibia) or thighbone (femur) causing the knees to separate when the feet are placed together. When the condition is severe enough to be considered a deformity, the cause is usually a disorder that occurs early in life such as rickets, flat feet, a congenital disease, or an injury. Bowlegs can be corrected mechanically by braces, shoe wedges, or other orthopedic devices. In some cases the bone is straightened surgically.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on bowlegs from Fact Monster:
- Billy Bowlegs - Billy Bowlegs Holata Micco Seminole leader Born: c. 1810 Birthplace: Florida Holata Micco, commonly ...
- Wacky Town Names - Oddly named towns and cities in the United States.
- rickets - rickets rickets or rachitis, bone disease caused by a deficiency of vitamin D or calcium. Essential ...
- American-Indian Biographies—A to Z - Biographies of notable American Indians
- vitamin: Vitamin D - Vitamin D Vitamin D is a name given to two fat-soluble compounds; calciferol (vitamin D2) and ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Pathology