bur marigold or sticktight, common name for any species of Bidens, a genus of chiefly weedy North American plants of the family Asteraceae (aster family) with two-pronged burlike fruits (achenes) that have gained various species such additional names as beggar-ticks, Spanish needles, tickseed, and bootjacks. A few showy yellow-flowered species are occasionally cultivated. Many of the common names are also used for other weeds with burs. Bur marigold is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Asterales, family Asteraceae.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on bur marigold from Fact Monster:
- beggar-tick - beggar-tick: beggar-tick: see bur marigold.
- Spanish needles - Spanish needles: Spanish needles: see bur marigold.
- tickseed - tickseed tickseed, name sometimes used for the bur marigold, coreopsis, tick trefoil or beggarweed, ...
- stick-tight - stick-tight stick-tight, name sometimes used for species of beggarweed and of bur marigold of the ...
- bur - bur bur or burr,popular name for fruits that have barbed, pointed, or rough outgrowths. By clinging ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Plants