coreopsis (kōrēŏpˈsĭs) [key], or tickseed, names for species of Coreopsis, a chiefly North American genus of the family Asteraceae (aster family). They are easily cultivated annuals or perennials with daisylike heads of flowers in various colors—commonly yellow or variegated. Garden kinds are sometimes called calliopsis. Coreopsis is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Asterales, family Asteraceae.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on coreopsis from Fact Monster:
- calliopsis - calliopsis calliopsis : see coreopsis.
- tickseed - tickseed tickseed, name sometimes used for the bur marigold, coreopsis, tick trefoil or beggarweed, ...
- Say It with Flowers - Say It with Flowers If you send someone a single rose you are sending a message of love. You can ...
- Mississippi - Information on Mississippi — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- State Symbols - State Symbols State Song Bird Tree Flower Alabama “Alabama” (1931) yellowhammer (1927) ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Plants