English springer spaniel
English springer spaniel, breed of medium-sized sporting dog developed in England from the broader and very old category of "springing spaniels" that produced many of the present-day land spaniels. It stands about 18 in. (46 cm) high at the shoulder and weighs about 45 lb (20 kg). Its medium-length coat is flat or wavy with a fringe of longer hair, or feathers, on the ears, chest, legs, and belly. Its coat is usually either liver and white, tan and white, or black and white. Trained as a field dog, the springer flushes game and will retrieve on both land and water. It also has enjoyed great popularity as a house pet. See dog.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on English springer spaniel from Fact Monster:
- springer spaniel - springer spaniel: springer spaniel: see English springer spaniel; Welsh springer spaniel.
- Pets in the White House - New First Pets Spot, Ernie, and India go to Washington by Holly Hartman Socks on the podium in the ...
- sporting dog - sporting dog sporting dog, classification used by breeders and kennel clubs to designate dogs bred ...
- Westminster Kennel Club - Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show The Westminster show is the most prestigious dog show in the ...
- Encyclopedia: Dogs - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Dogs.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Dogs