fireball, very bright meteor leaving a trail in the sky that can remain visible for several minutes; often a distinct sound, perhaps caused by very low frequency radio waves, is associated with it. A bolide bōˈlĪd is a fireball that explodes in the air because of thermal stresses created when it passes through the earth's atmosphere.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on fireball from Fact Monster:
- bolide - bolide: bolide: see fireball.
- meteor - meteor meteor, appearance of a small particle flying through space that interacts with the ...
- This Day in History: May 1 - May 1 1707 The Act of Union joined England and Scotland to form Great Britain. 1931 The Empire ...
- Meet Dave - Starring Eddie Murphy, Elizabeth Banks, Gabrielle Union, Judah Friedlander, Ed Helms
- unidentified flying object - unidentified flying object unidentified flying object or UFO,an object or light reportedly seen in ...