jungle [Hindustani jangal = desert, forest; from Skt. jangala = wasteland, uncultivated land], densest form of tropical forest (usually second growth or later) found throughout tropical lowland regions. Jungle is characterized by high humidity and resultant abundance (both in numbers and variety) of flora and concomitantly of fauna. Jungle is not a strict ecological term and is often applied to any impenetrable thicket or tangled mass of vegetation.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on jungle from Fact Monster:
- George of the Jungle - Starring Brenden Fraser, Leslie Mann, Thomas Haden Churk, Abraham Benrubi
- The Jungle Book 2 - Starring Phil Collins, Jim Cummings, John Goodman, Tony Jay, Bob Joles
- The Jungle Book (1967) - Starring Phil Harris, Sebastian Cabot, Louis Prima, George Sanders, Sterling Holloway
- Jungle Book 2: Mowgli and Baloo (1997) - Starring Roddy McDowall, Bill Campbell, Jamie Williams, David Paul Francis
- lynx - lynx lynx, name given to several related small, ferocious members of the cat family. All have small ...