mean, in statistics, a type of average. The arithmetic mean of a group of numbers is found by dividing their sum by the number of members in the group; e.g., the sum of the seven numbers 4, 5, 6, 9, 13, 14, and 19 is 70 so their mean is 70 divided by 7, or 10. Less often used is the geometric mean (for two quantities, the square root of their product; for n quantities, the n th root of their product).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on mean from Fact Monster:
- Name Meanings, Origins, and Popularity - Find the meanings, origins, and popularity of names from planet to pet names, hurricane to Spanish place names.
- Russell Means - Russell Means activist, actor Born: November 10, 1939 Birthplace: Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, ...
- Philip Ainsworth Means - Means, Philip Ainsworth Means, Philip Ainsworth, 1892–1944, American historian and ...
- Mean and Median - Mean and median definitions and examples.
- What Colors Mean - What Colors Mean We live in a colorful world. In many countries, colors represent various holidays; ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Mathematics