milk of magnesia
milk of magnesia, common name for the chemical compound magnesium hydroxide, Mg(OH)2. The viscous, white, mildly alkaline mixture that is used medicinally as an antacid and laxative is a suspension of approximately 8% magnesium hydroxide in water.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on milk of magnesia from Fact Monster:
- magnesium: Compounds - Compounds Magnesium forms many compounds. The oxide, hydroxide, chloride, carbonate, and sulfate ...
- hydroxide - hydroxide hydroxide , chemical compound that contains the hydroxyl (-OH) radical. The term refers ...
- Body Beat - Body Beat Here are a few good tips on how to care for your body with natural, effective, and ...
- magnesium hydroxide - magnesium hydroxide: magnesium hydroxide: see milk of magnesia.
- CHEMISTRY - Chemistry is the science of matter. Scientists study chemicals, their properties, and REACTIONS. BIOCHEMISTRY is the chemistry of living things.