neuron, specialized cell in animals that, as a unit of the nervous system, carries information by receiving and transmitting electrical impulses.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on neuron from Fact Monster:
- motor neuron disease - motor neuron disease: motor neuron disease: see amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- NERVOUS SYSTEM - The brain, nerves, and spinal cord make up the nervous system. It processes information from the sense organs and controls conscious “voluntary” actio
- synapse - synapse synapse , junction between various signal-transmitter cells, either between two neurons or ...
- neural network - neural network neural network or neural computing,computerarchitecture modeled upon the human ...
- nervous system: Anatomy and Function - Anatomy and Function In vertebrates the system has two main divisions, the central and the ...