optics, scientific study of light. Physical optics is concerned with the genesis, nature, and properties of light; physiological optics with the part light plays in vision; and geometrical optics with the reflection and refraction of light as encountered in the study of the mirror and the lens.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on optics from Fact Monster:
- optical activity - optical activity optical activity, the ability of asymmetric compounds to rotate the orientation of ...
- optical sensing - optical sensing optical sensing, in general, any method by which information that occurs as ...
- optical double - optical double: optical double: see binary star.
- optical density - optical density: optical density: see refraction.
- optical rotation - optical rotation: optical rotation: see polarization of light.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Physics