puffball or smokeball, fungus in which the aboveground portion is typically a stemless brownish sac with an opening at the top through which issues the dustlike mass of ripe spores. The common puffball is Lycoperdon gemmatum. The giant puffball ( L. giganteum ) may reach a diameter of 1 ft (30 cm) or more. No puffballs are poisonous, and most forms are edible when young. They are related to the mushroom and are similar in flavor. Puffballs are classified in the kingdom Fungi, phylum (division) Basidiomycota.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on puffball from Fact Monster:
- smokeball - smokeball: smokeball: see puffball.
- FUNGI - Fungi grow without sunlight and feed on organic matter. A typical fungus is made of many threads growing on or in a food source. Each thread, called a
- mushroom - mushroom mushroom, type of basidium fungus characterized by spore-bearing gills on the underside of ...
- Fungi: Types of Fungi - Types of Fungi The 100,000 identified species of organisms commonly classed together as fungi are ...
- PLANTS - Plants belong to the PLANT KINGDOM, one of the five kingdoms of living things. Plants are classified into smaller groups, according to shared characte