ruby, precious stone, the transparent red variety of corundum, found chiefly in Myanmar, Thailand, and Sri Lanka and classified among the most valuable of gems. The Myanmarese stones are blood red, the most valued tint being the "pigeon's blood." The Thai stones are darker and the Sri Lankan stones lighter than the Myanmarese specimens. Star rubies, i.e., those that show an internal star-shaped formation when cut in cabochon (with a rounded top), are rare. Synthetic rubies are manufactured by the fusion of pure aluminum oxide. Chromium oxide is added to provide the appropriate color.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on ruby from Fact Monster:
- KidVideos: Roadtrip: Ruby Falls and Rock City - Kid video of Roadtrip: Ruby Falls and Rock City.|Videos for Kids...by Kids
- Ruby Dee - Ruby Dee (Ruby Ann Wallace) actress Born: 10/27/1924 Birthplace: Cleveland, Ohio Emmy Award-winning ...
- Jack Ruby - Biography of Jack Ruby, Assassin of Lee Harvey Oswald
- Ruby Dee - Biography of Ruby Dee, Veteran actress and wife of Ossie Davis
- Nanette Fabray - Nanette Fabray (Ruby Nanette Fabares) actress, singer Born: 10/27/1920 Birthplace: San Diego, ...