shellfish, popular name for certain edible mollusks (see Mollusca), e.g., oysters, clams, and scallops, and for certain edible crustaceans, e.g., crabs, lobsters, and shrimps. All are aquatic invertebrates with shells; they are not fish.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on shellfish from Fact Monster:
- KidVideos: Shellfish - KidVid Video about Shellfish by Enzoology.
- Crustaceans FAQ - Crustaceans FAQ Source: National Marine Fisheries Services' Northeast Fisheries Science Center ...
- Wareham - Wareham Wareham , town (1990 pop. 19,232), Plymouth co., SE Mass., on an inlet of Buzzards Bay; ...
- KidVideos: Pythons - KidVid Video about Pythons by Enzoology.
- KidVideos: Toads - KidVid Video about Toads by Enzoology.