smilax, common name for a florists' plant of two separate genera ( Asparagus and Smilax ), both of the family Liliaceae (lily family, although some botanists recognize smilax as a separate family, the Similacaceae). The greenbriers, prickly vines often weedy in North America, belong to the same genus ( Smilax ) as the plants yielding sarsaparilla. Both genera are classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Liliopsida, order Liliales, family Liliaceae.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on smilax from Fact Monster:
- greenbrier - greenbrier: greenbrier: see smilax.
- asparagus - asparagus asparagus, perennial garden vegetable (Asparagus officinalis) of the family Liliaceae ...
- sarsaparilla - sarsaparilla sarsaparilla , common name for various plants belonging to two different classes and ...
- lily: Common Species - Common Species The name lily is used chiefly for plants of the genus Lilium and related species but ...
- Encyclopedia: Plants - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Plants.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Plants