spinach, annual plant ( Spinacia oleracea ) of the family Chenopodiaceae (goosefoot family), probably of Persian origin and known to have been introduced into Europe in the 15th cent. It is valued as a vegetable for the high vitamin and iron content of its leaves, and numerous varieties of the species are cultivated. New Zealand spinach belongs to the family Aizoaceae. Both families to which spinach plants belong are classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Caryophyllales.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on spinach from Fact Monster:
- New Zealand spinach - New Zealand spinach New Zealand spinach, succulent annual (Tetragonia expansa) of Australia, New ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) BRONTOSAUR : PLANT-EATING :: spinach : _____ Hint dining leafy Popeye Word ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) GREEN : SPINACH :: _____ : skunk Hint beast raccoon smelly Word Quiz Spelling ...
- Popeye the Sailor - Biography of Popeye the Sailor, Fist-fighting, spinach-loving sailor of comics and cartoons
- Nutrient Sources - Nutrient sources from foods and effects on your brain and body.|Foods for your Brain (and body)
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Plants