Antioch College, at Yellow Springs, Ohio; coeducational; chartered 1852, opened 1853. Horace Mann, Antioch's first president, envisioned a program stressing the development not only of the intellect but of the whole personality, especially the individual's social conscience and competence. The cooperative work-study program, adopted in 1921, was developed in an attempt to achieve this goal. Antioch College, which has been temporarily closed since 2008, began establishing campuses in other states in 1964. From 1978 the college and its campuses were part of Antioch Univ., which now includes Antioch Univ. New England (Keene, N.H.), Antioch Univ. Santa Barbara (Calif.), Antioch Univ. Los Angeles, Antioch Univ. Seattle, and Antioch Univ. McGregor (Yellow Springs). The university offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees. The Antioch Review is published by the university.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.