Atlanta University Center, at Atlanta, Ga.; coeducational. The largest consortium of historically African-American educational institutions in the country, it was organized in 1929 when three schools—Atlanta Univ. (chartered 1867), Morehouse College (1867), and Spelman College (1881)—became affiliated in a university plan. Atlanta Univ. was to be devoted exclusively to graduate education, with the other two colleges providing undergraduate programs. Later Clark College (chartered 1877), Interdenominational Theological Center (1958), Morehouse School of Medicine (1982), and Morris Brown College (1885) also joined the university center's affiliation agreement. In 1988 Clark College and Atlanta Univ. merged to form Clark Atlanta Univ., which is still part of the university center.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.