Bashan (bāˈshän) [key], fertile plain E of the Jordan and the Sea of Galilee from the latitude of Haifa northward to that of Tyre. According to Hebrew tradition, it was conquered by the Israelites and given to the half tribe of Manasseh.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bashan from Fact Monster:
- Bashan-havoth-jair - Bashan-havoth-jair: Bashan-havoth-jair: see Havoth-jair.
- Havoth-jair - Havoth-jair Havoth-jair , in the Bible, group of villages in Bashan and Gilead, E of the Jordan. ...
- Og - Og Og , in the Bible, giant king of Bashan conquered by the Israelites.
- Edrei - Edrei Edrei , in the Bible. 1. Capital of Og, king of Bashan, not identified with certainty. 2. ...
- Salcah - Salcah Salcah or Salchah, ancient fortress, SE Syria, E of the Jordan and on the boundary of ...