Bethulia (bēthyōˈlēə) [key], city, ancient Palestine, apparently located somewhere NE of Samaria, c.10 mi (16.1 km) from that city. It was the scene of the principal events of the Book of Judith. It has been variously identified, by some even with Jerusalem.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bethulia from Fact Monster:
- Ozias - Ozias Ozias [Gr.,=Heb. Uzziah], in the Bible. 1. Same as Uzziah 1. 2. Ruler of Bethulia at the time ...
- Holofernes - Holofernes Holofernes , in the Bible, invading general killed by Judith to save her city, Bethulia.
- Judith - Judith Judith [Heb.,=Jewess], early Jewish book included in the Septuagint, but not included in the ...
- D. W. Griffith - Griffith, D. W. Griffith, D. W. (David Llewelyn Wark Griffith), 1875–1948, American movie ...
- Encyclopedia: Biblical Proper Names - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Biblical Proper Names.