Cornell University, mainly at Ithaca, N.Y.; with land-grant, state, and private support; coeducational; chartered 1865, opened 1868. It was named for Ezra Cornell, who donated 0,000 and a tract of land. With the help of state senator Andrew D. White, who became Cornell's first president, it was made the state land-grant institution. The university has 13 colleges and schools throughout the state. Cornell Univ. Medical College, affiliated with New York Hospital, the Hospital for Special Surgery, and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, is in New York City. Cornell also is affiliated with the Brookhaven National Laboratory (Long Island). Of note on Cornell's campus are the U.S. plant, soil, and nutrition laboratory, the school of nutrition, and the laboratory of nuclear physics, which includes a reactor and a synchotron. The schools of agriculture and life sciences, veterinary medicine, human ecology, and industrial and labor relations are divisions of the State Univ. of New York.
See M. G. Bishop, A History of Cornell (1962); K. C. Parsons, The Cornell Campus (1968); R. F. Howes, A Cornell Notebook (1971).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Cornell University from Fact Monster:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.