crossword puzzle, word game in which words corresponding to numbered clues are put into a grid of horizontal and vertical squares to form intersecting words. The puzzle is solved when a player supplies all of the words correctly. Though a type of crossword puzzle has been found inscribed on an ancient tomb in Egypt, journalist Arthur Wynne is generally credited with its invention in 1913. Crossword puzzles became popular with Simon and Schuster's 1924 publication of a crossword puzzle book and now appear in virtually all newspapers. Players vie for titles at various crossword competitions. Reference dictionaries are published to aid players with solutions. See acrostic; anagram.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on crossword puzzle from Fact Monster:
- The Crossword Puzzle History - The History of the Crossword Puzzle In 1913, it was a "word-cross"; in ancient Rome, a ...
- Crossword Archive - A collection of crosswords on topics from music and movies to science and history
- Games, quizzes, hangman, math games, same game, roman numeral games - Arcade style, educational games and teaching tools for kids and teachers. Pop culture quizzes and crosswords. Flash based, interactive math, science, and word games.
- The Infoplease Crossword Puzzle: Africa - by Kelly Ann Buchanan Solve our weekly interactive crossword puzzle! Click "Reveal" for ...
- The Infoplease Crossword Puzzle: Europe - by Kelly Ann Buchanan Solve our weekly interactive crossword puzzle! Click "Reveal" for ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Games and Hobbies