Delaware, University of
Delaware, University of (dĕlˈəwâr, –wər) [key], at Newark, Del.; land-grant and state-supported; coeducational; founded 1743 in New London, Pa., as a Presbyterian school, moved to Newark 1765, and chartered as the Academy of Newark by the Penns in 1769. It became Newark College in 1833-34 and was designated a land-grant college in 1870. It was called Delaware College (for men) from 1843 to 1921. In 1921 Delaware College and the affiliated women's college (founded 1913) were joined under the present institution and merged and reorganized in 1945. The university now has seven academic colleges, and offers programs in conjunction with Winterthur, the Hagley Museum, and Longwood Gardens. The Delaware Geological Survey is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on University of Delaware from Fact Monster:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.