Dor or Dora, Canaanite seaport, ancient Palestine (modern Israel), N of Caesarea Palestinae. It was never a Jewish city but rather a Phoenician outpost. It was rebuilt by the Romans; still visible are the ruins of a temple and a theater. Later it was fortified by the Crusaders. References to it in the Bible are numerous.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Dor from Fact Monster:
- En-dor - En-dor En-dor, in the Bible, village, ancient Palestine, S of Mt. Tabor, where lived a celebrated ...
- Topaz (1969) - Starring Frederick Stafford, Dany Robin, Karin Dor, John Vernon, Claude Jade
- Richard Dawson - Biography of Richard Dawson, The host of Family Feud
- You Only Live Twice - Starring Sean Connery, Akiko Wakabayashi, Mie Hama, TetsurÃ´ Tanba, Teru Shimada
- Encyclopedia: Biblical Proper Names - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Biblical Proper Names.