Doulton ware (dōlˈtən) [key], English pottery produced at Lambeth after 1815, first by John Doulton and his partners, then by his descendants. It won the medal at the Exhibition of 1851 and more than 200 subsequent awards for the perfection of the various products and the beauty of their decoration by skilled artists who signed their work. It includes brown stoneware with graffito or scratched designs; other salt-glaze pieces with black, brown, blue, bronze, green, gray, or white bodies; faience; impasto; and Carrara. Sculptured terra-cotta plaques by George Tinworth won additional fame for Doulton ware. Its factories became the Royal Doulton Potteries.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.