Duke University, at Durham, N. C.; coeducational; opened 1838, chartered 1841 as Union Institute in Randolph County. Reorganized 1852 as Normal College, it became Trinity College (Methodist) in 1859 and moved to Durham in 1892. It was renamed in 1924 for James B. Duke, who gave it financial assistance. One of the most selective institutions in the country, Duke offers its 11,000 students a wide range of programs including business, engineering, law, and medicine. It is especially well known for literary studies. Research facilities include the Duke Marine Laboratory, the North Carolina Supercomputing Center (affiliated), the Primate Center, and the Institute of the Arts.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.