Eden, Garden of
Eden, Garden of, in the Bible, first home to humankind. In it were the trees of life and of the knowledge of good and evil. Having eaten the forbidden fruit of the latter tree, Adam and Eve were banished from the garden and God's presence. Eden, often called Paradise, is symbolic of eschatological fertility and bounty. It is also mentioned in the Qur'an.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Garden of Eden from Fact Monster:
- Eve, in the Bible - Eve Eve [Heb.,=life], in the Bible, the first woman, wife of Adam and the mother of Cain, Abel, and ...
- Adam - Biography of Adam, The world's first man, according to the Bible
- Eve - Biography of Eve, The world's first woman, according to the Bible
- Adam, the first man, in the Bible - Adam Adam , [Heb.,=man], in the Bible, the first man. In the Book of Genesis, God creates humankind ...
- Lilith - Biography of Lilith, In Hebrew lore, the first mate of Adam