Emory University (ĕmˈərē) [key], near Atlanta, Ga.; coeducational; United Methodist; chartered as Emory College 1836, opened 1837 at Oxford. It became Emory Univ. in 1915 and in 1919 moved to Atlanta. In 1929, Emory-at-Oxford, a two-year junior college, was opened at the original site of the university; the junior college was renamed Oxford College in 1964. The university's additional facilities include Emory Univ. Hospitals and Eye Clinic, the Yerkes Regional Primate Research Center, the Carter Presidential Center, and a cooperative program with the National Laboratories in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.