healers, people who treat illness or suffering by calling forth divine help or by attempting to control the body with the mind and spirit. Since prehistoric times healers have used such techniques as anointing with oil, the laying on of hands, and prayer. The term also refers to Christian Science practitioners. See also medicine man; shaman.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on healers from Fact Monster:
- Imhotep - Biography of Imhotep, The architect of the oldest Egyptian pyramid
- Paean - Paean Paean , Paean was an epithet for Apollo, the healer. The paean, a hymn of praise to Apollo ...
- Raphael - Raphael Raphael , archangel. He is prominent in the book of Tobit, as the companion of Tobias, as ...
- Hildegard von Bingen - Biography of Hildegard von Bingen, Medieval prophet, healer and composer
- International Church of the Foursquare Gospel - Foursquare Gospel, International Church of the Foursquare Gospel, International Church of the, ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Religion: General