Kir (kûr) [key], in the Bible. 1 Unidentified land to which Tiglathpileser III banished the Syrians, credited by Amos as the original home of the Aramaeans (see Aram). 2 Place in Moab, identified with Kir-haraseth, Kir-hareseth, Kir-haresh, and Kir-heres.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kir from Fact Monster:
- Kir-haraseth - Kir-haraseth Kir-haraseth, Kir-hareseth, Kir-haresh,and Kirheres:see Kir 2.
- Kirşehir - Kirşehir Kirşehir , city (1990 pop. 74,546), capital of Kirşehir prov., central ...
- Al Karak - Al Karak Al Karak , town (1997 est. pop. 19,000), W central Jordan. It is also known as Krak. It is ...
- Encyclopedia: Turkey Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Turkey Political Geography.
- Encyclopedia: Biblical Proper Names - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Biblical Proper Names.