Maine, University of, main campus at Orono; coeducational; land-grant and state supported; chartered 1865 as Maine State College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts, opened 1868, renamed 1897. There are also campuses at Farmington (1864), Fort Kent (1878), Presque Isle (1903), and Machias (1909). The university's facilities include the Maine Center for the Arts; the Canadian-American Center; the Center for the Study of the First Americans, at Orono; and the Archeological Research Center, at Farmington.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.