McGill University, at Montreal, Que., Canada; coeducational; chartered 1821, opened 1829. It was named for James McGill, who left a bequest to establish it. Its real development dates from 1855 when John W. Dawson became principal. It has faculties of arts, science, dentistry, engineering, graduate studies, education, management, religious studies, law, medicine, and music, as well as schools of architecture, urban planning, computer science, social work, library and information studies, nursing, human communication disorders, occupational health, and physical and occupational therapy. Anglican, Presbyterian, and United Church theological colleges are affiliated. Macdonald College at Ste Anne de Bellevue, Que., includes the faculty of agriculture and environmental sciences and the school of dietetics and human science. McGill is noted for its graduate work in chemistry, medicine (especially neurology and psychiatry), and biology. It has a fine medical library and medical museum.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.