Medical College of Pennsylvania

Medical College of Pennsylvania, formerly in Philadelphia; chartered and opened 1850 as the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania; became Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania 1867, Medical College of Pennsylvania 1970. It was the first women's medical college in the world. In 1970 it began accepting male students. The school merged (1993) with Hahnemann Univ., becoming the MCP Hahnemann School of Medicine of Allegheny Univ. of the Health Sciences, and was acquired in 1998 by Tenet Healthcare Corp., becoming MCP Hahnemann Univ. In 2002, Drexel Univ. assumed operation of the school, which became the Drexel College of Medicine.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

More on Medical College of Pennsylvania from Fact Monster:

See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.