Memphis, University of, at Memphis, Tenn.; coeducational; opened 1912 as a normal school, became West Tennessee State Teachers College in 1925. The school was renamed Memphis State College in 1941 and in 1957 received university status as Memphis State Univ.; it was renamed in 1994. It is the flagship institution of Tennessee's state university system. Research facilities include the Meeman Biological Field Station, the Chucalissa Museum, the Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology, and the Center for Earthquake Research and Information.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.