Michigan, University of, main campus at Ann Arbor; state supported; coeducational; chartered 1817 at Detroit as the Catholepistemiad, or Univ., of Michigania, rechartered 1821 (as Univ. of Mich.) and 1837 (when it was relocated at Ann Arbor). The university system also maintains full campuses at Flint (1956) and Dearborn (1959), as well as centers throughout the state. Michigan has an outstanding school in astronomy and maintains two observatories at Ann Arbor and others at Portage Lake, Lake Angelus, and Bloemfontein, South Africa. At Ann Arbor are the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, which carries on instruction and research in the peaceful uses of atomic energy, the Center for Great Lakes and Aquatic Science, and the Aeronautical Engineering Laboratory. Laboratories for manufacturing engineering and manufacturing systems are at Dearborn. Michigan has a noted law school; an extensive system of hospitals, clinics, and medical institutes; and several museums. The university library houses many notable collections including the Hubbard Collection on Imaginary Voyages, an outstanding papyrus collection, the Worcester collection on the Philippines, a collection on American colonial and Revolutionary history, and the Stellfeld music collection.
See W. B. Shaw, ed., The University of Michigan (4 vol., 1942–58); H. H. Peckham, The Making of the University of Michigan, 1817–1967 (1967).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.