Moscow State University, at Moscow, Russia, officially M. V. Lomonosov Moscow State Univ.; founded 1755 as Moscow Univ. by the Russian scientist M. V. Lomonosov, renamed Moscow State Univ. after the Russian Revolution, and renamed after its founder in 1940. It has faculties of physics, computational mathematics and cybernetics, physics, chemistry, geology, biology, geography, soil science, fundamental medicine, history, philology, philosophy, foreign languages, economics, journalism, law, psychology, sociology, and other areas. There are research institutes devoted to mechanics, nuclear physics, astronomy, computer science, and laser technology, among others. Its library is among Russia's largest libraries and oldest university libraries, and the university maintains several museum collections and a botanical garden.