North Carolina, University of, main campus at Chapel Hill; state supported; coeducational; chartered 1789, opened 1795, the first state college to open as a university. In 1931 the North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering (now North Carolina State Univ., founded 1887, opened 1889) at Raleigh, the Woman's College of the Univ. of North Carolina (founded 1891, opened 1892) at Greensboro, and the Univ. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill were consolidated under the present name. The university also has campuses at Asheville (1927), Charlotte (1946), and Wilmington (1947). A leading Southern university, it has a noted university press and institutes for research in folklore, the natural sciences, fisheries, statistics, and Latin American studies. The Raleigh campus has an outstanding school of textiles. Since 1972 the university has been part of the Consolidated Univ. of North Carolina, which includes nine other universities and the North Carolina School of the Arts at Winston-Salem. There is a noteworthy art center and a planetarium, and the university library has an outstanding collection of North Caroliniana.
See A. Henderson, The Campus of the First State University (1949); L. R. Wilson, The University of North Carolina, 1900–1930 (1957); P. Russell, These Old Stone Walls (1972).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.