Nostradamus (nŏsˌtrədāˈməs) [key], 1503–66, French astrologer and physician, whose real name was Michel de Nostredame. He is reputed to have effected remarkable cures during outbreaks of the plague in S France. His rhymed prophecies under the title Centuries (1555) gained him the favor of the French court. Obscure and symbolic, the predictions have been subject to many interpretations.
See E. Cheetham, ed. and tr., Prophecies on World Events by Nostradamus (1974); R. Prévost, Nostradamus, Myth and Reality (1999).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Nostradamus from Fact Monster:
- December 14 Birthdays: Nostradamus - December 14 birthdays: Nostradamus, Vanessa Anne Hudgens, Michael Owen, James Doolittle, Patty Duke, John Mercer Langston, Shirley Jackson, Tycho Brahe
- Nostradamus - Biography of Nostradamus, The 16th-century French physician who made creepy predictions
- Julia Ormond - Julia Ormond actress Born: 1/4/1965 Birthplace: Surrey, England In the United States, Ormond is ...
- This Day in History: July 2 - July 2 1566 French astrologer, physician, and prophet Nostradamus died. 1881 President James ...
- Shoko Asahara - Biography of Shoko Asahara, Founder of Japan's Aum Shinri-kyo religion