Rastafarianism, a religious-cultural movement that began (1930s) in Jamaica. Rastafarians believe that Haile Selassie, also named Ras Tafari, the last emperor of Ethiopia (d. 1975), is the Messiah. They tend to reject European culture and ideas and are particularly noted for their use of marijuana. Reggae music is heavily influenced by Rastafarianism. There are some 180,000 Rastafarians worldwide.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Rastafarianism from Fact Monster:
- Bob Marley - Marley, Bob Marley, Bob, 1945–81, Jamaican reggae singer, songwriter, and guitarist. As a ...
- reggae - reggae reggae, Jamaican popular music that developed in the 1960s among Kingston's poor blacks, ...
- Haile Selassie - Biography of Haile Selassie, Emperor of Ethiopia, 1930-74
- Bob Marley - Biography of Bob Marley, The reggae hero who did "Get Up, Stand Up"
- Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - Starring Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Ellen Barkin, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd