Campuses and Facilities
Rutgers maintains three campuses. At the New Brunswick campus are Rutgers College, Douglass College (est. 1918 as the New Jersey College for Women; renamed 1955), Cook College (primarily for the biological, health, and natural resource sciences), Livingston College, Mason Gross School of the Arts, and schools of business, engineering, pharmacy, psychology, library and information studies, education, and social work. There is also a graduate school. At the Newark campus (formerly the Univ. of Newark; absorbed by Rutgers 1946) are the colleges of arts and sciences and nursing, as well as a graduate school and schools of management, criminal justice, and law. The Camden campus (est. 1927 as the College of South Jersey; absorbed by Rutgers 1950) has a college of arts and sciences, a graduate school, and schools of law and business. The University College, a program of part-time evening studies, operates at all three campuses.
The university's large agriculture program includes an agricultural experiment station (est. 1880) and a university farm system. Its research facilities include microbiology, radiation, engineering, ceramics, economics, biological science, and labor relations institutes. The university's library includes specialized collections in science, medicine, and microbiology as well as rare books and research materials relating to English literature and early Americana.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.