Rutgers was the eighth college in colonial America, receiving a royal charter from George III in response to a petition of leaders in the Dutch Reformed Church. In 1825 the name was changed to Rutgers College in honor of Col. Henry Rutgers, a benefactor. It became a university in 1924. The Rutgers Scientific School was redesignated (1864) as a state college and, in 1917, as the state university of New Jersey. In 1946 the entire institution became the State Univ. of New Jersey. The corporate title was changed to Rutgers, The State Univ. of New Jersey in 1956.