Strathclyde, University of, at Glasgow, Scotland; founded 1796 as Anderson's Institution. In 1886 its name was changed to Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, and in 1956 it became known as Royal College of Science and Technology. It was affiliated with the Univ. of Glasgow from 1913 until 1964, when it received its charter as a university and assumed its present name. It has faculties of science, engineering, arts and social studies, and business administration. The David Livingstone Institute of Overseas Development Studies, the European Policies Research Centre, the Scottish Transputer Centre, and the Turing Institute for machine intelligence are affiliated.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.