Tennessee, University of, main campus at Knoxville; land-grant and state supported; coeducational; chartered 1794, opened 1795 as Blount College; became East Tennessee College 1807; closed 1807–20; became East Tennessee Univ. 1840, Univ. of Tennessee 1879. The schools of medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and related health sciences are at Memphis, and there are also campuses at Martin and Chattanooga. There is an extensive library system and a noteworthy museum of natural history. The university maintains agricultural experiment stations throughout the state.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.