Texas Christian University, at Fort Worth; Christian Church (Disciples of Christ); coeducational; opened 1873 at Thorp Spring, chartered 1874 as Add Ran Male and Female College. It assumed its present name in 1902 and moved to Fort Worth in 1910. It has faculties of arts and sciences, divinity, education, nursing, business, and fine arts and communications. Jarvis Christian College (est. 1912; predominantly African American) is affiliated. Research facilities include the Center for American Enterprise and the Center for Remote Sensing. The university library houses noted collections in English and American literature, music, and theology.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.