West Indies, University of the, autonomous regional institution with main campuses in Jamaica, Trinidad, and Barbados; coeducational; est. 1948 in Mona, Jamaica, as an external university college of the Univ. of London, independent and renamed 1962. The St. Augustine, Trinidad, campus was founded in 1921 for the West Indies Agricultural College, which was renamed the Imperial College of Tropical Agriculture in 1924 and incorporated in 1960 into the University College of the West Indies. The Barbados campus was created in 1963 at Bridgetown and moved to Cave Hill. The university, which is supported by 15 West Indian and Central American countries and dependencies, also maintains educational centers in all supporting countries, including a center for hotel and tourism management in the Bahamas.