Youngstown State University
Youngstown State University, at Youngstown, Ohio; coeducational; est. 1908 as a department of the Youngstown Association School sponsored by the Young Men's Christian Association. In 1921 the school became the Youngstown Institute of Technology, changing its name in 1928 to the Youngstown College. The school gained university status in 1955 and adopted its present name in 1967, when it joined the Ohio system of higher education. It has a college of arts and sciences, a graduate school, and schools of business administration, education, engineering, applied science and technology, and fine and performing arts.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.