zombi or zombie (both: zŏmˈbē) [key], in voodoo, a person believed to have been raised from the grave by a houngan [sorcerer] for purposes of enslavement. The zombi is used by its master to perform heavy manual labor and to implement evil schemes.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on zombi from Fact Monster:
- The Monster Guide - Fact Monster's Menacing Monster Guide by David Johnson The Monster Guide Abominable Snowman ...
- Rob Zombie - Biography of Rob Zombie, Front man for the rock band White Zombie
- Bela Lugosi - Bela Lugosi (Bela Blasko) actor Born: 10/20/1882 Birthplace: Lugos, Hungary Film and stage actor ...
- Shock Waves - Starring Brooke Adams, Jack Davidson, Luke Halpin, Fred Buch, D.J. Sidney
- George Romero - Biography of George Romero, The director of the Night of the Living Dead films