Aliquippa (ălĭkwĭpˈə) [key], borough (1990 pop. 13,374), Beaver co., W Pa., in an industrialized region along the Ohio River N of Pittsburgh; inc. 1894. Aliquippa grew after the expansion of steel mills in 1909, but most of the plants closed in the 1970s and 80s. There is printing and publishing and the manufacture of food, precious metals, and chemicals.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.