Bingham Canyon or Bingham, uninc. village, N central Utah, near Tooele, in a canyon of the Oquirrh Mts. SW of Salt Lake City. At first (1848) a farm of the Mormons Thomas and Sanford Bingham, it became in the 1860s a roaring mining town, dealing in gold, then silver and lead, and in the 20th cent. copper. The world's largest open-pit mine is located nearby. The town's single street, squeezed into a mountain gulch, is 6 mi (9.7 km) long.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.