Boulder City, residential city (1990 pop. 12,567), S Nev., just W of Hoover Dam near Lake Mead; inc. 1959. Built (1932) by the federal government as headquarters during the dam's construction, it became a self-governing municipality by act of Congress in 1958. It is a year-round tourist center and the headquarters of Lake Mead National Recreation Area (see National Parks and Monuments, table).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Boulder City from Fact Monster:
- Boulder, city, United States - Boulder Boulder, city (1990 pop. 83,312), seat of Boulder co., N central Colo.; inc. 1871. A Rocky ...
- Hoover Dam - Hoover Dam Hoover Dam, 726 ft (221 m) high and 1,244 ft (379 m) long, on the Colorado River between ...
- Nevada - Information on Nevada — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Boulder, Colorado, QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau - Colorado Atlas QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau Boulder, Colorado QuickFacts · ...
- Encyclopedia: U.S. Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning U.S. Political Geography.